What is EFM? (Ethernet First Mile)
EFM is fast becoming the access technology of choice, as it carries traffic over Fibre Ethernet networks, but over the last mile is delivered using copper pairs, significantly reducing the cost of access.
Ethernet in the First Mile provides guaranteed speeds in both directions (is symmetrical), increased reliability (as is a predominantly fibre service) and a cost effective alternative to a Fibre Ethernet Leased Line. EFM increases the capacity to transfer data and works perfectly with low latency applications such as VoIP, Terminal Services and Video streaming.
EFM from Managed Communications enables you to get the speed you choose, can be delivered using up to 8 pairs which significantly increases resilience and provides speeds of up to 35Mbps.
What are the benefits of EFM?
There are several benefits of using a Ethernet in the First Mile solution including:
- Is an extremely cost effective alternative to a Leased Line
- Providing guaranteed speeds, up to 35Mbps in both directions.
- QoS/CoS can be implemented to prioritise traffic (i.e. dedicate bandwidth to voice, or specific applications)
- EFM offers resilience and means we can offer a 100% SLA on EFM.
- EFM is NOT contended and there are no data useage limits. Use as much as you want.
Is EFM available in my area?
There are three main providers of this technology. BT, C&W (Vodafone) and TTB (TalkTalk Business).
EFM is not present in all locations, but coverage is getting better all the time. With Managed Comms tight relationship with our carrier partners, we will be able to alert you the minute that EFM is enabled in your area, or when a new faster version of EFM becomes available.